Looking for a graduate job?
Become a Cycle Infrastructure Intern
Did you graduate with a degree in Civil or Structural Engineering? Are you looking for a career in local government? Are you looking to kick start your career? If yes, then please see below.
What you will be doing
The London borough of Waltham Forest are offering 3 month internship opportunity to a graduate to work in their Highways and Traffic Management Team. The successful intern is expected to start ASAP in February/March 2020.
You will have the opportunity to be involved in providing support and specialist knowledge to the service area in maintaining Council’s highway and cycle infrastructure.
You will provide support across our projects to ensure the safety and maintenance of the highway and cycle infrastructure including cycle lanes, cycle hubs, cycle hangers, cycle stands and associated signage/equipment.
Key tasks of the internship include;
• Ensuring the highways and cycle infrastructure are maintained to a good standard
• Undertaking the inspection, recording and reporting of all cycle infrastructure in accordance with codes of practice and manufacturers guidelines
• Undertaking the inspection, recording and reporting of highway infrastructure, surface defects and street works in accordance with codes of practice, associated highways legislation, street works legislation including The Traffic Management Act and best practice on highway maintenance
• Use of handheld electronic data capture equipment and other methods of data capture and to be able to use a computer and to understand the associated software packages and programmes
• Supporting other project and administrative work as required
Benefits and specifications
Benefits of the Internship
• This internship programme is very successful and previous interns have gone on to work in transport planning and sustainable and active travel.
• You will be encouraged to attend a range of internal and external training courses to support your development in transport planning.
The ideal candidate will preferably have a degree in Civil and Structural Engineering however other backgrounds will be considered. The candidate should have demonstrable interest in sustainable and active travel including cycling.
The successful candidate will also need to have;
• Previous work experience in general such as customer service role. Bar role, Volunteering.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent computing skills
• Excellent work ethic
• A proactive and hardworking approach
• The ability to work well within a team
• Excellent time management skills
We are the University of London Recruitment Services
Working with employers in all industries to provide temporary and permanent work opportunities for students and graduates from all universities.