Join our Volunteering Programme

This is your opportunity to have a direct impact on the lives of those who need it most across the globe. Don't miss out.

Our Volunteering Programme


Volunteering Programme Outside of UK

  • Volunteering placement
  • All costs covered: flights, accommodation, visas, insurance, vaccinations and anti-malarials, DBS and medical clearance
  • Overseas living allowance provided

What you will be doing

International Citizen Service (ICS) is a once-in-a-lifetime volunteering opportunity open to all 18-25 year olds, funded by the UK Government.

The development programme brings together young people from the UK and developing countries to volunteer in some of the poorest communities in Africa, Asia and Latin America.

You will work side-by-side with local volunteers on projects that have specifically asked for help, so you know that your skills are being used where they are needed most.

The UK government’s Department for International Development (DFID) funds 90% of the ICS programme. We cover all of the costs, including: flights, accommodation, visas, insurance, vaccinations and anti-malarials, DBS and medical clearance, as well as provide a living allowance overseas. The other 10% comes from funds raised by volunteers. If accepted onto the programme, you will be required to raise at least £800, with support from us to make sure that you hit your target.

  • You will make a direct impact on reducing poverty
  • You will support projects designed to help people achieve many things that we take for granted: getting a good education; having meaningful employment; knowing their rights; having access to healthcare and protecting their environment
  • You will bring new energy and ideas to the team, helping your project to be more effective
  • You will live with a host family in the local community during your placement
  • You will receive structured support and training before, during and after your placement.

What you will have

ICS isn't a holiday: it's demanding, but hugely rewarding.

This is a great opportunity for personal development, a stepping stone to future careers and a chance to make your world a better place.

You don’t need qualifications to apply, just the ambition to make a difference. We encourage all young adults aged 18-25, whatever their background, financial circumstances or additional support needs to apply.

At ICS we are committed to delivering an inclusive programme, and will make reasonable adjustments throughout the journey to ensure that all volunteers have a positive experience of international volunteering.

We are currently accepting applications for departures in April 2018.

  • You are a UK, EU or EEA citizen, with a current UK address and have lived in the UK for the past year - or have indefinite leave to remain
  • You are committed to spending 10-12 weeks overseas from September 2017
  • You are willing to live with a host family whilst on placement
  • You are committed to fundraising at least £800 before the trip takes place
  • You are committed to continuing your work in your home community upon your return through our Action at Home initiative.
Onwards to our company and culture…

We are ICS

We work with the local community to make long-lasting improvements in developing countries across Africa, Asia and Latin America. Join us and make a difference.

Our Culture - What we do

We offer young people in the UK the chance to change their life - and many other's - forever. With a presence in 18 countries worldwide, we work with local volunteers to support community projects that provide education, healthcare, employment and more to those who need it most.

The programme is funded by the UK Government and led by leading international volunteer unit VSO, in partnership with a hand-picked group of respected development organisations. Each of these is on hand to offer structured support and training to help and guide you before, during and after your overseas placement.

Whilst we cannot guarantee your first choice of location, wherever you go our team will place you on a project that can impact your life and the lives of the people in the community you work in for the better.

Gain useful transferrable skills and a life-long network: 99% of attendees have said that the programme has helped with their professional development, whilst 97% have kept in touch with their teammates after their placement.

Previous volunteers have helped to improve the standards of education in Cambodia, enabled better building access in Kenya for people with disabilities and supported awareness of sexual health initiatives in Uganda. 

ICS is a once in a lifetime opportunity to change your world.

ICS - Be The Volunteer


Like what you see?