You need to be signed in to favourite a job
ICAEWICAEW Chartered Accountant
ICAEWICAEW Chartered Accountant
Become an ICAEW Chartered Accountant
With the ACA on your CV you can work in any industry around the world, so you can shape your career around your interests.
What you will be doing
To become a ICAEW Chartered Accountant, you will complete the ACA qualification, which is a combination of study, exams and practical work experience.
We recommend entering into a training agreement with an authorised employer after graduation, which you would secure while at university. There are over 5,000 employers authorised to train you for the ACA qualification globally. You can train in large companies, small enterprises, charities, accountancy firms and government bodies.
Training for the qualification will typically involve working in project or client teams to analyse current performance and make business recommendations based on your knowledge and expertise. Employers must meet strict standards to train students, combine this with high-quality learning materials, and students enjoy high pass rates – with 90% qualifying in four years or less.
What you will have
You don’t need a degree in accounting, finance or business to study for the ACA. Employers look for a strong academic record, in any subject, and a passion for the role you’re applying to.
Employers will look for you to demonstrate your abilities in the following areas throughout the recruitment process:
You are a team worker with good people skills
You are a problem solver and decision maker
You have a high level of professionalism
You have a commercial awareness
You are confident in your IT skills
Learn more about ICAEW
We are ICAEW
When you become chartered with ICAEW, you’ll be more than an accountant. You’ll be a leader, a creator, an innovator. You’ll be striving to push yourself and face new challenges every day. You’ll be part of a global network of over 147,000 business professionals, who are working to drive leadership standards, to provide expertise, and to build a world of strong economies.
What do we do?
We’re one of the world’s leading providers of training and professional development for accountants. Through us, aspiring leaders and business professionals can take a qualification called the ACA and become ICAEW Chartered Accountants. It’s our job to support you during your training and make sure that you’re reaching your full potential.
To find out more about what we do visit the ICAEW Careers website.
What do we offer?
We offer the ACA qualification, which is one of the most advanced learning and professional development programmes available. It has been designed to provide you with an in-depth understanding across accountancy, finance and business.
The ACA is designed to open up a world of opportunity across a huge range of workplaces. From the most renowned professional service firms, to entrepreneurial start-ups, charities and government bodies, there’s no end to where it can take you.
How can I apply?
There are several steps to becoming a qualified ICAEW Chartered Accountant as a university graduate:
1. Finish university with a degree in any subject
2. Enter into an ACA training agreement with an authorised training employer, by applying to a vacancy on ICAEW Training Vacancies.
3. Complete a combination of study, exams, practical work experience and ethics.
4. Once you have completed your ACA training, you can apply to become a member of ICAEW.
5. Once you’re accepted, you will be a fully qualified ICAEW Chartered Accountant and can use the letters ACA after your name.
Five reasons to choose us…
*ICAEW member data and FTSE 350 data at December 2018.
**ICAEW Case Study exam statistics 2018.
***Financial Reporting Council: Key Facts and Trends in Accountancy Profession 2018.
****Includes parent companies. Source: ICAEW member data at December 2018, Interbrand Best Global Brands 2018.
1. Community – you’ll be supported by our global network of over 153,000 members and over 28,700 students.
2. Leadership Potential – the ACA prepares you for leadership right up to board level. That’s why 83 of the FTSE 100 companies have an ICAEW Chartered Accountant on their board.*
3. Support – ACA students have high first time pass rates of 80%, driven by quality learning, teaching and support.**
4. Progression – 90% of all ACA students qualify in four years or less, meaning fewer resits, and faster career progression.***
5. Opportunity – take your career into any industry around the world – 96 of the world’s 100 leading brands employ ICAEW Chartered Accountants.****
To find out more about careers in chartered accountancy, visit the ICAEW Careers website.