Looking for a graduate job?
Join our 2020 Global Supply Management Summer Internship
Global Supply Management (GSM) is responsible for helping American Express maximize the purchasing power of over $9B of third party spend. We provide strategic consultation to the business and provide end to end procurement services. We maximize the purchasing power of the Company to drive the best value from our supplier base which then frees up investment capacity for our business. GSM together with our business partners manages the supplier strategy for the Company, identifying and on-boarding new suppliers, realizing significant cost saves and revenue generation by partnering with our Global Commercial Services and Global Merchant Services businesses to increase billings and merchant coverage and ensuring an optimal user experience for American Express employees and suppliers.
The Summer Internship Programme commences in June 2020 for 10 weeks. It consists of the following components:
• Introduction to American Express through an induction day and training sessions
• Meaningful projects which will have real business impact
• Regular Speaker Series with senior management
• Social and networking events
• Structured performance management process and regular feedback
Expect to be working as a Contract Associate in the Contract Strategy and Execution team within GSM. The primary responsibility of the role is to fulfill the workflow of the Contract Delivery engagements including delivering the most effective strategy for achieving maximum value for the business through the contracting process as guided by the American Express Policy for Third Party Management and established processes within Contract Delivery.
The role is responsible for building and maintaining stakeholder relationships with the business, across peer groups, contract stakeholders including Legal, TLM, Tax, Compliance, and Insurance and in multiple markets as well as act as a first point of contact for third party contract negotiations and strategies.
Contract Associates will utilize their interaction with the business partners to identify opportunities that can add value to how Contract Delivery can meet their commitments to the business. As part of this activity, the Associate needs to be able to confidently create and present a compelling business case for change (when needed) to leaders.
What type of work can you expect to do in International Growth Optimisation at American Express?
• Lead end to end contracting process to include drafting, negotiating and executing commercial negotiations
• Conduct contract strategy meetings to identify issues and client requirements and work in partnership with Business and Category management on priorities, timelines and deliverables
• Draft appropriate contractual provisions leveraging GSMs template library based on strategy discussions, needs and expectations
• Review and manage the redlining of contracts of varying complexity using playbooks, defined negotiation bandwidths and defined escalation paths and ensure appropriate approvals are obtained as and when needed
• Ensure that contracts, supporting documents and contract metadata are properly entered into organizational databases and securely maintained
• Adhering to and enforcing operation, policy and contract compliance in all procurement activities and projects
• Serve as coordinative enterprise-wide contact (for contract delivery with respect to contracts assigned to the Associate) during contract negotiations
• Identifying process gaps and opportunities to improve value delivered to the business and collaborate across the Contract Delivery team and stakeholder groups to solve
• Identify value add opportunities and drive savings opportunities for contracts owned by Contract Delivery
• Maintaining and promoting the Blue Box Values by ensuring that work is completed to the highest professional, legal, and regulatory standards, and that the activities subject to review/procurement comply with the Company's stated business ethics.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to translate and develop concepts, visions and complex business requirements into workable plans
• Good project management skills and financial management experience including development of CBA's, PowerPoint presentations and financial models
• Good people skills to bring together the right narrative and players to find a solution for situations when dealing with a customer’s issues and concerns
• Ability to work with cross-functional teams to develop and execute complex, time and commercial sensitive strategies
• Proven ability to drive results and prioritize work activities
• Positive attitude, flexibility, and team player.
How do I make a successful application?
In order to make a successful application please ensure that you answer the below questions in your cover letter:
• Why American Express?
• Why Global Supply Management?
• What key strengths do you have that would make you a successful intern within Global Supply Management at American Express?
Your cover letter and CV will be shared with hiring managers, please ensure you spend the time to provide detailed, well researched responses to the questions. We expect cover letters to be around a page long.
• The programme is open to final year and postgraduate students from any degree discipline
• A minimum of 320 UCAS points and a predicted 2:1 degree or international equivalent
Why American Express
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference. American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision. Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Equal Opportunities Statement
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or any other status protected by law. If you require any assistance with the completion of this process or need any reasonable adjustments to be made then please contact the Campus Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org This role may be subject to additional background verification checks.
We are American Express
American Express is a global services company that provides consumers and businesses with exceptional access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. We make it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they need and for merchants to sell their goods and services through innovative payment, travel and expense management solutions.